5.22.2010

Tuesday, May 11th - Injured?

3 miles, easy
65 degrees, cloudy

I met with Dylan after work to attempt my first run since Broad Street, and had a rough transition back. The very first step of the run, I felt the pain in my knee(s) that plagued me after my first marathon. Still, I pressed on hoping that a softer surface and warming up would loosen up my knees. No luck. After a single lap of TR Island, I was forced to walk back to Dylan's.

My instincts told me a few things, thanks to my previous experience with this pain:
  • Don't force the run. Just stop and you won't do any (more) damage.
  • Get new shoes. Looking back, I think I honestly ran over 700 miles on the last pair. Rediculous.
  • Get back to the gym and work on my leg strength. I had let it go while tapering, and riding my bike to/from work in the past 24 hours actually seemed to exacerbate the problem.
Thankfully this is happening now, while I can afford time off. And, hey, I did PR in the marathon coming off that last knee injury...

No comments:

Post a Comment