3.19.2012

Boston Training through 3.16.2012

Since the beginning of the year, I've been on a steady progression towards the Boston Marathon.  This preparation has mostly taken the form of mildly discouraging track workouts, unusually high mileage, high-stress at work, and the occasional long run.  Still, with the omnipresent support from the team and Coach Jerry, I have consistently moved closer to my goal of out-pacing my 2008 performance in Boston.

The training cycle has so far been highlighted by a few workouts and long runs.  Our weekly track workouts have always been geared towards the masses; it was only 4 years ago that these track workouts consisted of Patrick Reaves and I running around the BCCHS track in the dark, alone.  Now our team workouts have more than two dozen runners (including women! and a coach with multiple stopwatches!).  I have found camaraderie with Chris Bain and GRC-newcommer Will Rawson at the back of the B-group, running the same distances as the rest of the team, but at more reasonable marathon-preparation pacing.

The highlight workout (and long run) came on Sunday, February 26th (the morning of my 3rd annual Oscar Bash).  Coach Jerry had assigned us to run about 4 miles to warm up, 5 miles on the track at marathon pace, 40-45 minutes at ~6:40/mile pace, a 4 mile progression on the track, and a ~3 mile cool-down.  I arrived late to the workout with Evan and cut the warmup short, but hit the track ready to run.  I ran 5:50 pace with Will, but in lane 2 to simulate 5:45 pace.  We ran south on the CCT, feeling the 6:30s on the way back up the hill to BCC.  Just before arriving back for our second track workout, I took a Rocktane Gu with caffiene.  As someone that never drinks coffee, tea, or soda, just a small dose of caffiene can turn me into Popeye The Sailorman.  While I was supposed to start the 4 mile progression at 5:35 and cut down to 5:25, I started in 5:33 and finished in 5:18 catching up to Dickson and Outlaw and caught my breath with the feeling I could conquer the world... until my body crashed 15 minutes later.  I got in 21 miles that morning.  That workout taught me that 1.) I was well on my way to my goal in Boston and 2.) performance enhancing drugs are worth it ;)


1933-Popeye the Sailor-I Eats My Spinash by iToons

The rest of my preparation included two long, slow runs.  The first was with Brian Young on February 11th, a slow run of 21 miles.  The other was a long, slightly-faster 19 mile run with Klim on March 10th.  I felt fine after both, and look forward to another long run/workout before Boston.

No comments:

Post a Comment