68 degrees, sunny and windy
It's spring! I took the afternoon off from work and ran in RCP. In the middle of the run I added a light fartlek of 2 min on/2 min off.
When I came home from work I turned on the TV to the surreal and disturbing sight of "Breaking News from Binghamton, NY" on every news channel. A gunman stormed the American Civic Association on Front Street and murdered 13 people who were studying for a citizenship test, before taking his own life. It's easy to think events like this could never happen to you or in your neighborhood, but this tragedy clearly shows they can and do. The shootings occured across the street from the nursing home I visited my grandfather in the last ten years of his life, and police and news organzations referred those affected to go to my mother's office at Catholic Charities up the street. Binghamton, particularly its diverse immigrant community, will never be the same. Those affected are in my thoughts and prayers.

No comments:
Post a Comment